Originally constructed in 1917, the Harry S. Truman Building received a complete tenant fit-out. The project itself consisted of 550,000 SF in renovations to existing space, the construction of a new auditorium with over 300 seats, and the construction of a 24-hour data center. The second new steel structure includes a two-story building that houses the Department of State telephone frame room, UPS battery room, and auxiliary switchgear; steel platforms for two 1600kw generators and associated steel supports for the elaborate exhaust system were also built. Given that the building is locked into the downtown Washington, DC city grid, these new constructions were performed within the confines of the existing courtyards. The auditorium built is equipped with state-of-the art A/V systems, teleconferencing & simultaneous interpretation capabilities.
A major part of the historic restoration to the building included the reinstallation of old wood paneling and the replication of new wood paneling, trim, bookcases, ceilings, and more. A number of architectural elements had to be replicated such as radius bullnose window returns and removable convector covers and grilles.
Association of General Contractors Merit Award
Washington Building Congress Craftsmanship Awards (Multiple Trades)